Barnet Green Party is prioritising job creation in its pledges for both the national and local elections. Here are our pledges for the Barnet Council election on May 6th:
We will press Barnet Council to do more to help prepare local 16-24 year old people for the world of work and to help them find jobs.
Nationally, the Greens want to create a million new jobs through the Green New Deal.
We will work to ensure that Barnet Council takes serious steps to encourage the building of affordable homes to buy or for rent.
Barnet’s performance in meeting local housing needs is among the worst of all the London boroughs.
The Greens’ national ambition is for free insulation in all homes. We plan to submit proposals to Barnet Council for improved policies on insulation for public and private homes.
20 mph speed limit
Barnet Green Party is proposing a 20 mph speed limit on all residential and shopping streets in the borough.
Lower limits lead to a sharp reduction in accidents and also reduce people’s sense of fear and danger. People walk and cycle more and feel safer about letting their children walk or cycle to school.
Greens in will continue to campaign for better local bus services and will fight any threat to Tube services or ticket office staffing at stations in the borough.
Green Party councillors in Barnet will also:
* Support community services such as libraries and post offices.
* Fight any new plans for major supermarkets in the area.
* Protect local parks, green spaces and allotments.
* Propose measures to help local businesses continue providing vital services to local people.
* Encourage a high visibility by local police and support officers to deter crime and make people feel safer.
* Spur Barnet Council to adopt a more sustainable approach
For further information contact Andrew.Newby@barnetgreenparty.co.uk